Jun 11, 2011

The Guide to Geek Love


I happen to think of myself as a computer enthusiast, or as the society describes it: having geek tendencies (did you know that roots for the word geek mean freak or crazy?). It is a general consensus that "we" are not meant to participate in human relationships, and I am no exception to this rule considering my personal disastrous dating history. Being a faithful listener of the Buzz Out Loud tech podcast, I wanted to share the guidelines to finding geek love posted by a listener, in the Computer Love section of episode 1487 of the show (this has been a little modified and I added some comments, the original can be found here).

Based on my experience, this is my guide to finding geek love:

1. Get Real. I had a couple of internet dates, and while my wife and I met in real life, we did most of our early flirtation via email. The problem with that is that I did a very plausible online impression of someone with his life in gear, but in real life I was much more messed up. You really have to meet me in person to realize how annoying this can be. But I found someone who kind of likes it.
Comment: Yeah, this is totally me, online I am a serious, funny and well organized kid....In real life, not so much :(.

2. Hope for Failure. The percentage of the general population who will intentionally date a geek is probably in the low teens. Add to that your own criteria (weight, height, hair color, Star Trek vs. Star Wars, has a job, bathes) and your pool starts shrinking. This is not a bug, it's a feature. A bad date or a rejected pickup is not a disaster, it's just another iteration in your own personal sorting algorithm (Comment: I love this line). 

3. Define Success. I knew I was in love because my happiness had become contingent on hers, and when I was with her, I was a better version of myself than when I wasn't. Of course, I'm kind of an idiot, so it took me a long time after falling in love to even realize that it had happened. I almost drew charts, but even I recognized that would be a bit much. Instead, I proposed. Ineptly. But she said yes anyway.
We've been married 5 years. We have a 4 month old who just outgrew his first Star Wars onesie and a three year old who starts most of her sentences with ""Well actually..."" Love is good.
Comment: This is the mushy part that I hate when others talk about the love thing.


All in all, if you know a geek, just give him/her some Love. It may not look like it, but "we" always have a lot to offer.

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwww! Ernest! U are not a geek! Or if u consider yourself a geek u are a special one! It's not true that in real life u are not funny or serious! I remember that we had fun and some interesting conversation when we hung out... Buut my dear geek I send u some LOVE from over the ocean and I hope it will brighten your day!
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me think of this XKCD comic:

    http://xkcd.com/761/

    Also, the alt-text makes great sense. BFS is the way to go haha.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog